Monday 16 May 2016

Reflection




As expected the primary difficulty of this shape was its organic and irregular nature of the rock's surface. Unlike my previous shape which was symmetrical, there was no symmetry to this skin which made it harder to be regular and methodical with where I stretched and shrunk. The skin had to be constantly compared against the laser cut object and marks had to be approximated and gradually refined. 

It was also extremely difficult to always return the skin back to the originally point where it lay on the object, marks had to be made against the skin of the object and the laser cut object so that I could return the skin back the where it sat previously so that I could continue working on other areas whilst maintaining certain areas of the skin. If I had to the opportunity to make the skin again, I would use a bigger circle of aluminium so that it would completely wrap one half of the rock.

Overall it provided a differing experience from my previous object and a greater understanding in the methods of metal shaping was able to be gained through creating this interdisciplinary skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment