Tuesday 31 May 2016

Reflection

EVALUATION IN MAKING BOTH SKINS
Overall, I believe making the aluminium skin's for my chosen object relating to architecture and my interdisciplinary skin were successful. I throughly enjoyed the process of making these skins, being able to watch my development from struggling to make a practice dome shape, to being able to have a polished, mirror like skin for my interdisciplinary shape. 

My greatest challenge was the reverse curve of my discipline related skin, taking numerous tries to be able to successfully create my final skin. However I believe this shape to be my most successful, its' curvaceous shape with the rounded base and reverse curve of the neck area, proving well suited to create an aluminium skin over. Having experience and knowledge in creating this shape, if I were to repeat this exercise, I would like to make both halves of the shape that join together to completely encompass the laser cut object, also polishing the aluminium to create a beautiful reflective skin.

RELATING TO ARCHITECTURE
In undertaking this BEIL course, I was able to gain extensive knowledge on metal shaping as well as broadening my experience of different material by having first hand experience of forming and shaping aluminium. 

Relating to my discipline of architecture, this is a valuable skill when making architectural models if I design buildings with customised metal elements, such as roofs or walls, or if I ever happen to design a Gehry style building. 

The following are few images showing the possibilities of metal shaping in architectural models.


Model for Frank Gehry's Walt Disney Concert Hall
Model for Frank Gehry's Walt Disney Concert Hall

Model for Frank Gehry's Jay Pritzker Pavillion
Model for Conference Hall inside DZ Bank Building
Model for Lewis Library at Princeton University
Roof made with metal for architectural model


No comments:

Post a Comment